Finding a great fillet knife is no easy task, which is probably why we had so many requests to produce one. Our goal was to create a knife for larger fish that had the features users needed most. To do this meant consulting those we consider subject matter experts, namely the outdoors and knife enthusiast communities. So we created threads on three popular forums as well as on our own site, and after three months of back and forth exchange and development, followed by excellent final stage prototype reviews by five teams, we put the Kermode into production.
We also offer a 6 inch version of this knife, if you need or want a smaller knife.
The knife takes its name from the creamy-white coated Kermode, or Spirit Bear, a sub-species of the black bear that is native to the BC coastal region. It has been found that in daylight the kermode is 30 percent more efficient at fishing than regular black bears because its reduced contrast with the sky makes it less visible to fish.
We back all of our knives with a warranty and satisfaction guarantee! click here for details
Key features of the knife include:
- CPM S35VN blade steel for great edge retention and excellent transfer of feel from the fish to the hand when filleting. Both blade thickness and width taper from tip to handle, allowing the perfect amount of blade flex.
- We put a very refined edge on so it arrives razor sharp and ready to use.
- Textured handle scales (except carbon fiber which is smooth finished), contoured for good grip even when covered in fish slime. handle materials repel water and fish odours making clean up easy.
- A molded Kydex sheath that positively engages with the knife for secure and safe storage and protection of the edge. Our standard length belt loop comes with the sheath (extended length loop is optional). Because of the design of the knife we offer only right handed sheaths.
- swept back tip that allows the knife to be "rolled" through the fish for continuous slicing action
- virtually indestructible G10 handle scales. Solid carbon fiber scales optional
- easy edge maintenance with diamond or ceramic butcher's steel. When sharpening is needed, conventional tools are all you need. See our sharpening page for details
- This is the brief info sheet we include in the box with the Kermode 9".
Maximum Dimensions L x W x H
knife: 13.8" x 1.4" x 0.79" (35.0cm x 3.6cm x 2.0cm)
Maximum blade width
Blade length (tip to handle): 8.8" (22.4cm)
Weight with G10 handle:
knife: 5.4 oz. (155 grams)
with sheath: 8.0 oz. (225 grams)
5.1 oz. (145 grams) with G10 scales
Sheath (with belt loop): 2.8 oz. (80 grams)
Blade steel: CPM S35VN
Blade hardness: HRC 58-60
Blade thickness at spine: 0.062" (1.6.xmm)
Blade Grind: flat (CNC milled)
Cutting edge angle (inclusive): 40°
Made in BC